[tdwg-content] New Darwin Core terms proposed relating to material samples

Richard Pyle deepreef at bishopmuseum.org
Sun May 26 23:25:54 CEST 2013

Thanks John -

Yes, I agree - the description you forwarded definitely fits how we have
been using "Individual".  The main reason we selected that term was to stay
in harmony with the existing "individualID" in DWC.  Besides, other
candidate terms ( "thing", "stuff", "unit", etc.) all seemed a bit vague.
The match is not perfect, though, because some of the things we represent as
"individuals" (herd, school, etc.) are not "sampled" (unless a visual
observation counts as a sample).  So, it would seem that "material sample"
would be a subset/subclass of what we have been using for "Individual".

My main question, though, was more along the lines of what progress (if any)
has been made towards establishing a formal class in DWC for "Individual"
(representing the set of terms applied to attributes of what is intended by
the existing DWC "individualID") - presumably modeled after the Darwin-SW
"IndividualOrganism".  And, whether or not there has been any progress,
would there be any value in contemplating both that topic (expansion of
dwc:individualID into a class), and this topic (proposed new
dwc:materialSample) within the same discussion?

Aloha,

Rich