[tdwg-content] Data capture software and Darwin Core

Justin Steventon justin at steventon.com
Tue Jul 23 05:02:33 CEST 2013

Hi John, Markus & Rich,

I’m adding Louis, who has expressed interest in this topic.

I did look at the CSV+XML option, but concluded that it was a bit strange to
have two different text formats. I do see that it is sufficient to have just
the CSV as long as the first line header is properly specified. Adding JSON
into the dynamicProperties is good for portability (and we may well use
this), but it means readers are more complex.

My feeling is that I need to think more deeply about the problem space. For
many years, we’ve focused on providing an easy way for people to get data
from the field. This means software that places few restrictions on defining
the semantics of the data: users enter a bunch of fields and off they go.
They are free to separate contextual and observational data into distinct
records if that’s what makes sense to them. However, we must then have a
consistent way of inferring the meaning later. In some cases this is easy,
but in others not so much.

Ultimately I’m trying to avoid a situation where users have to design their
field user interface to be Darwin Core friendly.

Regards,

-Justin