[tdwg-content] [tdwg-tag] canonicalScientificName

Peter Desmet peter.desmet at umontreal.ca
Sat Mar 17 02:25:25 CET 2012

Hi Chuck and others,

I submitted a formal request [1] to add the term canonicalScientificName to
hopefully reach a consensus from the TDWG community: either we add it or we
don't. This term keeps popping up and I think it would be good if we
reached a formal decision [2]. So I'm all for keeping the discussion open
and involving more actual users. Given the reactions (pro and con) it
wouldn't help much if I retract my request now I think.

Me personally am very happy with the response I got so far. I now think
that the need for the term (with the definition I proposed) is no longer
justified, on the condition that we refine the definition for genus, which
I also formally requested [3]. Darwin Core is a community standard and I
just want to improve it where I can: Is there a way to share canonical
names? Is it even necessary? The eventual solution (don't do anything, add
canonicalScientificName as is or altered, or change the definition for
genus) is a community decision.

Cheers,

Peter

[1] http://code.google.com/p/darwincore/issues/detail?id=150