[tdwg-content] [tdwg-tag] canonicalScientificName

Gregor Hagedorn g.m.hagedorn at gmail.com
Wed Mar 14 22:24:44 CET 2012

On 14 March 2012 20:17, Roderic Page <r.page at bio.gla.ac.uk> wrote:

> Apart from the fact that I can barely bring myself to care about plants ;)
> I suspect that the vast majority of names do not present these problems.
> Why do we let edge cases determine what we do?

The first argument is valid, the second not. A high fraction of plant names
have infraspecific taxa, and by necessity any such name has one autonym
plus one or several separate infraspecific names.

Yes, usage of infraspecific names is considerably lower than usage of
specific names, but it is not an edge case. Even hybrids are not an edge
case - I really whish I could forget about them, but they always crop up
and annoy me...

Gregor