[tdwg-content] canonicalScientificName

Donald Hobern (GBIF) dhobern at gbif.org
Wed Mar 14 19:15:23 CET 2012

Hi Peter.

I should stop commenting because I’m only one opinion here but, in response to your question,  I think that in practice we will end up with two fields, each of which is treated in a rather lax fashion by most providers, so we end up still having to do as much work to clean data, but now with the added uncertainty of which field to use if the two are different.

As I indicated, given that scientificName is the existing mandatory field, I’d be more in favour of reviewing whether our current definition for that field is in fact best.  Encouraging everyone who can give a simple easily-processed name to do so in the scientificName field and continuing to use that as the mandatory species identifier would simplify name matching for most users.  We should be relying on nomenclatural databases for the author citation details.  In those cases where we could use author names to disambiguate homonyms we can usually (I realise not always) use higher taxonomy much more easily for the same purpose.

I agree heartily with the goal behind the suggestion.  I however doubt that it will achieve the critical mass needed to enable consumers to rely on it.  To summarise, my preferred strategy would be to use one or all of the following:

1.       Change the DwC scientificName definition to recommend the use of a clean monomial, binomial or trinomial (with whatever seem appropriate recommendations for varieties and lower ranks) rather than the current fully-formatted form

2.       Place an obligation on GBIF and other aggregators to provide robust, predictable services to access “clean” versions of these data sets

3.       (A variation on 2) Develop services that can be used in a unix-pipe fashion to take any DwC-A file and produce a clean version

Best wishes,

Donald

Donald Hobern - GBIF Director -  <mailto:dhobern at gbif.org> dhobern at gbif.org

Global Biodiversity Information Facility  <http://www.gbif.org/> http://www.gbif.org/

GBIF Secretariat, Universitetsparken 15, DK-2100 Copenhagen Ø, Denmark

Tel: +45 3532 1471  Mob: +45 2875 1471  Fax: +45 2875 1480