[tdwg-content] use of the terms dcterms:rightsHolder and dcterms:accessRights in existing databases

John Wieczorek tuco at berkeley.edu
Tue Jun 26 17:18:41 CEST 2012

Interesting question. Among the VertNet data publishers (85
institutions, 195 collections so far), none of them track or publish
this information at the level of individual records, but rather as
information at the level of the metadata for entire collections. Using
Darwin Core Archives, this information would be in the EML metadata
document.

The interesting part is that the collection metadata is disjunct from
the primary data unless someone specifically does something to remedy
the situation. No occurrence record knows what its rightsHolder and
accessRights are. So, when they go into the wild mixed with records
from other institutions, that information is effectively lost. It
would be better if it was not lost. One way to do this in conventional
publishing using Darwin Core Archives would be to generate the
record-level metadata from the collection-level metadata during the
publishing process. That's what we are doing in VertNet as we
transition from DiGIR providers to Darwin Core Archives.