[tdwg-content] Change of DwC terms stateProvince, county, and municipality?

Chuck Miller Chuck.Miller at mobot.org
Wed Aug 29 16:40:14 CEST 2012

Aren't these terms in Darwin Core primarily applicable to specimen (and I suppose also observation) records?  And don't specimen labels sometimes include these geopolitical subdivisions?  And aren't those geopolitical subdivisions included on the labels sometimes not modern, and therefore sometimes not in a unifying modern gazetteer?  Having the DwC terms available for use, enables the location-related information included on a specimen label to be recorded and exchanged.

I presume that was the basis for the inclusion of these terms in the original Darwin Core. Is this incorrect?

I tend to agree that the problem in DwC is with the use of some particular examples of geopolitical subdivisions - stateProvince, county, municipality - rather than something generic like 1st, 2nd, 3rd Subdivision as Markus is suggesting.

Chuck