[tdwg-content] Occurrences, Organisms, and CollectionObjects: a review

John Deck jdeck at berkeley.edu
Fri Sep 9 01:06:10 CEST 2011

I really like the synopsis and the clarity of this proposal.  However, I'm
going to mud things up a bit by sending your message to the Biodiversity
Genomics GSC Group list and alert them to this discussion so they can
provide input.

There has been an ongoing effort to bridge DwC and GSC standards  (for more
information on GSC standards see
http://www.nature.com/nbt/journal/v29/n5/full/nbt.1823.html).  My sense is
that CollectionObject is a nice analogue to what MIMARKS refers to as a
Sample.   Some possibilities for integration here (assuming i'm on target
with sample and collectionObject being analogous):

1. Adopt the term "Sample" instead of "CollectionObject"
2. Develop a general understanding of how "Sample" and "CollectionObject"
are related (or differ) and write up some explanatory text in the reference
(with recognition of both terms).
3. Clarify the differences between CollectionObject and Samples and develop
a ResourceRelationship between the two.

John Deck

John Deck
(541) 321-0689