[tdwg-content] Occurrences, Organisms, and CollectionObjects: a review

Bob Morris morris.bob at gmail.com
Thu Sep 8 19:21:37 CEST 2011

I was perhaps unclear.  I don't mean to suggest a superclass that has
some other notion of taxonomic organization.  I meant to suggest one
that simply has \some/ notion of organization. That wouldn't change
the offered definition of Organism, but rather give people who feel
they need some notion of an organized set of biological stuff a way to
define other subclasses  with different organizations.  It would, for
example, let people use DwC to describe some aspects of ecosystems
able to do so without having to pretend that an ecosystem is always a
special kind of Organism, or vice-versa.

It doesn't look to me like you envision that
http://code.google.com/p/darwin-sw/wiki/TaxonomicHeterogeneity would
be suitable for describing ecosystems, possibly even for those
ecologists that think a hierarchy of ecosystem types is as fundamental
to what the study as are classical taxonomic hierarchies to classical
taxonomists.

Bob

--
Robert A. Morris

Emeritus Professor  of Computer Science
UMASS-Boston
100 Morrissey Blvd
Boston, MA 02125-3390
IT Staff
Filtered Push Project
Department of Organismal and Evolutionary Biology
Harvard University

email: morris.bob at gmail.com
web: http://efg.cs.umb.edu/
web: http://etaxonomy.org/mw/FilteredPush