[tdwg-content] If you need something for referring to a population, then it is probably best to do it as a related class

Mikel Egaña Aranguren megana at fi.upm.es
Mon May 9 10:24:25 CEST 2011

Hi;

a little aside

On az., 2011.eko mairen 04a 04:34, Hilmar Lapp wrote:

> On May 3, 2011, at 9:00 PM, Steve Baskauf wrote:
>
>> But I was under the impression that one models things by describing
>> classes and the properties that connect them.
>
> In OWL, properties connect instances, not classes. RDF allows
> metaclasses (things that are classes and instances), but doing this
> will throw most (all?) reasoners off the track.

Just to add to the discussion, puning can be used to model clases as
instances. In fact, a common pattern I'm seing and I'm using is to use
puning and have a class hierarchy, each class having an instance with
the same URI, so one can refer to each class as a class or as an
instance, depending on the context.

http://www.w3.org/2007/OWL/wiki/Punning

cheers

>>   Classes are (to me) a very different thing than instances of
>> classes.  A model containing more than 13.6 million classes is at
>> least 1.9 million times as complicated as a model with 7 classes.
>
> Yes and no. I can model a taxonomy as a subclass hierarchy of classes,
> or as a property-based (memberOf or some such) hierarchy of
> individuals that all instantiate a single "Taxon" class. The former
> isn't 1 million times more complex than the latter. However, they are
> not identical either, and which approach one chooses has significant
> consequences for how easy it is to express things about those taxa,
> and for inferring new things from those with a DL reasoner.
>
>>   I would hate to have to draw an RDF graph of that model
>
> I would as much hate to have to draw an RDF graph of 1.7 million
> instances. The point being, in order to draw a graph of how someone
> models a domain you don't draw a graph of the entire RDF triple store.
>
> -hilmar

Mikel Egaña Aranguren, PhD
http://mikeleganaaranguren.com

Marie Curie post-doc at Ontology Engineering Group, UPM
http://www.oeg-upm.net/