[tdwg-content] tdwg-content] Fwd: [Fwd: Re: If you need something for referring to a population, then it is probably best to do it as a related class]

Nico Cellinese ncellinese at flmnh.ufl.edu
Wed May 4 20:39:46 CEST 2011

>     we don't have to grudgingly choose between artificial and natural.
I actually do. I am not interested in representing, trying to define, or even talking about artificial entities but do not stop others from doing so.
> One can allow for the obvious that species names and definitions are
> formulated and written down by humans (though other animals and machines
> are sometimes capable of this too), and vary over time, but at the same
> time nature has a strong corrective word in shaping these definitions,
> and only if they are close enough to some real natural order are our
> inferences also reliable enough. By modeling species as human
> conceptualizations, we are not necessarily throwing out the baby with
> the bathwater, i.e. saying they are not real. See pp. 66-67 here:
In fact, what I meant to say is that they are hypotheses waiting to be tested, whether we use one concept over another. If they turn to be artificial, the only reason to keep those around is purely historical, if anyone cares about that.  You may, many don't. I don't.
> http://docs.google.com/a/richard-boyd.net/viewer?a=v&pid=sites&srcid=cmljaGFyZC1ib3lkLm5ldHxob21lfGd4OjcyOWIwYWMyY2Y5M2NmMzg
Yet another opinion.  I could present a long list of others that would completely differ but I don't think this is the right mailing list.
Nico