[tdwg-content] If you need something for referring to a population, then it is probably best to do it as a related class

Steve Baskauf steve.baskauf at vanderbilt.edu
Wed May 4 15:35:12 CEST 2011

I beg to differ.

Peter DeVries wrote:
> About occurrences.
>
> It is the specimen (individual) that gets identified and it can have
> several identifications.
I do not believe it is a good idea to equate "specimen" with
individual.  I have reached the conclusion that a specimen CAN be an
individual if one chooses to type a particular "thing" as both a
specimen and and an Individual but I'm not comfortable with saying that
they are owl:sameAs .  It is my opinion, and I think one that was
supported to some extent in the discussion of last Oct/Nov that when we
"identify" some kind of evidence like a a branch cut from a tree we are
really making a statement about what taxon we think the tree represents,
not the branch per se.  This is an important distinction, because if we
are identifying the tree, then any branch that is dcterms:partOf the
tree shares that identification.  This may seem like an esoteric point,
but it is one that has a fairly significant bearing on how one chooses
to construct a model.  I will stop there because I don't want to
re-plough the same ground again.  The relevant posts are summarized and
referenced on the DSW pages explaining the IndividualOrganism and
Specimen classes.

> There is an issue with occurrence records that we saw with one of the
> initial TDWG BioBlitz RDF Versions.
>
> There were multiple identifications but there was no way of indicating
> which was the preferred.
Again, I beg to differ.  It was my understanding (again from the
extensive conversation about this in Oct/Nov) that the creation of
multiple Identifications were "preference agnostic".  Each
Identification represented an expressed opinion about the concept/TNU
that the determiner asserted that the individual represented.  They were
not flagged as "right" or "wrong".  In fact, it is possible that there
could be several Identifications by different determiners that asserted
the same concept/TNU, indicating that the determiners agreed with each
other.

> Assuming that there was only one individual organism identified there
> is really one one species (or hybrid).
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaah!  Please Nico C., don't take this one up!

> Different human identifiers make assertions about what that species
> is, those different identifications are then tied to the individual
> organism.
Yes I agree entirely.

> In other words it is the specimen that is identified not the occurrence.
Yes, the occurrence was not identified.  But I would say the individual,
not the specimen (as explained above).

> If your additional identification RDF links to the specimen then it
> will be linked to the occurrence so someone can browse from the
> occurrence and look at the identification history of the specimen.
>
> Does, this answer your question?
Not really, but I think the issue here is that the way you are
conceptualizing specimens, individuals, and identifications is NOT the
same as DSW defines them.  So I retract my earlier statement that the
taxonconcept.org ontology and DSW are really the same thing with
different term names .

Steve