[tdwg-content] opposing anything that comes from outside a small click was Re: If you need something for referring to a population, then it is probably best to do it as a related class

Peter DeVries pete.devries at gmail.com
Sun May 1 03:54:43 CEST 2011

Hi Steve,

I was expressing my disappointment about how this process operates, not
disappointment in you or your efforts.

A while back I posted several messages with examples showing that the
current DarwinCore, while good for it's current use, is not well suited for
the Semantic Web.

I proposed that we work on something that might be better suited for that
use while data providers continued to use the DarwinCore.

There seemed to be no consensus that this was the thing to do, or that
anyone else agreed with my proposal.

It is not clear how TDWG decisions are made. There seem to be discussions
and debate, not voting or clear consensus on the email list.

What does seem to happen is some mysterious entity, *that I like to call the
TDWG Illuminati*, seems decide what the "consensus" is.

So apparently there was consensus that we should investigate a more semantic
version of the DarwinCore and the minting a separate set of URI"s was
blessed by the Illuminati.

What I don't understand is this: Is there is any real difference between
examples that start with "txn" are any "dsw"

Haven't I said all along that my stuff could be moved into the DarwinCore?

The reason I created txn was that my efforts at advocating for a markup that
followed Linked Open Data best practices was going nowhere.

I needed URI's that resolved correctly.

The issue relating to my TaxonConcepts are complicated, the specifics will
need to come at a later date.

However, I take issue with the idea that Taxon = name use when you consider
the actual practice of the vast majority of biologists and the actual data
sets that are available.

If NCBI, eBird, BOLD, or any data from of the countless field and lab
observations were tagged with a "sensu" or "secundum" then you might have an
argument.

So the consensus in the larger biological community is that this is not how
information about species is tagged.

The goal of my TaxonConcepts is provide machine / human interpretable
species concepts so that different biologists can more reliably and
repeatedly determine which concept is the most appropriate "tag" for the
individual organism they are looking at in a microscope or through
binoculars.

A tag that can remain stable to changes in nomenclature like that seen seen
with Aedes / Ochlerotatus.

A first step in this process is to connect that species to the many name
variants with which it is associated.

A second step is to link the concept to closely related concepts,
identifiers and other existing documentation on the web.

Some of these concepts include links to the original description, etype
pages, BOLD barcodes etc. They have the ability to be linked to the type and
other specimens.

They have been looked at very carefully my leaders in the Linked Open Data
community and the GeoSpecies / TaxonConcept are seen as one of the better
designed LOD data sets.

In general, SPARQL queries on a local or LOD endpoint work as expected.

Are they perfect? No.

Respectfully,

- Pete

On Fri, Apr 29, 2011 at 9:46 PM, Steve Baskauf <steve.baskauf at vanderbilt.edu
> wrote:

> Hi Pete,
> I want to respond to your message in two parts.  It may take me some time
> to write a response to the second part (i.e. questions about your
> suggestion) so it may not come right away.  But I also wanted to comment
> about the first part, that is:
>
> Peter DeVries wrote:
>
>> I am still somewhat puzzled why TDWG seems so opposed to adopting anything
>> that comes from outside a small click?
>>
>>  I'm not exactly sure if this is directed at Cam and me (in the context of
> darwin-sw), or to others.  If it is directed at me, then you can read my
> response.  If not, then you can ignore it.
> First of all, I'd like to say that I greatly respect the work that you've
> done on trying to promote the use of LOD in the TDWG community.  I have read
> every one of your posts and have tried to understand all of them to the
> extent that I'm able.  I think we referenced your posts over 20 times at
> http://code.google.com/p/darwin-sw/wiki/TdwgContentEmailSummary, cited
> your taxon concept examples at
> http://code.google.com/p/darwin-sw/wiki/ClassTaxon and included your model
> in the analysis of previous models at
> http://code.google.com/p/darwin-sw/wiki/RelationshipToExistingModels.
>  Your suggestion of using the geo: scheme was included in the discussion of
> the Location class at
> http://code.google.com/p/darwin-sw/wiki/ClassLocation .  I would say that
> at least half of what I know about RDF comes from looking at your examples
> and trying to understand what you have done.  I am therefore very grateful
> for the work that you have done and your enthusiasm for bringing creative
> ideas into the community.
> So why did Cam and I create Darwin-SW instead of just using your ontologies
> at taxonconcept.org ?  There are several reasons, some of which are
> alluded to at
> http://code.google.com/p/darwin-sw/wiki/RelationshipToExistingModels .
>  But to be succinct (OK, maybe not that succinct), I'll state them here:
>
> 1. Darwin Core is a ratified TDWG standard.  It therefore qualifies as a
> "well-known" vocabulary.  If I refer to dwc:recordedBy as a property, people
> in the biodiversity informatics community will know what it means.  If I
> refer to dwc:Identification, it will also be known in our community.  For
> this reason, Cam and I wanted as much as possible to build Darwin-SW on
> Darwin Core rather than using terms that we or any other individual minted.
> 2. Cam and I wanted the Darwin-SW ontology to (as much as possible) reflect
> the community consensus on what classes meant and and how they were related
> to each other.  Of course, the problem is knowing what that consensus was.
>  After the hundreds of emails that were posted on the tdwg-content list from
> September 2010 to the present, I feel like I have a much better
> understanding of what the consensus is than I did before (where there IS a
> [...]

Pete DeVries
Department of Entomology
University of Wisconsin - Madison
445 Russell Laboratories