[tdwg-content] Why UUIDs alone are not adequate as GUIDs, was Re: ITIS TSNID to uBio NamebankIDs mapping

Dmitry Mozzherin dmozzherin at eol.org
Wed Jun 8 19:43:17 CEST 2011

I would like to add an observation that comes from a computer science tradition

An object should have one responsibility and several responsibilities
should be achieved by combination of objects.

In case of identifiers an illustration can be a scientific name. It
does work as an identifier and as a tiny classification. For example
Pinus silverstris identifies a species and also tells us the genus of
the species. As a result identifier changes when classification
changes and also you cannot identify species until you find a genus
placement. Combination of two responsibilities in my opinion decreased
usefulness of this particular identifier dramatically.

Now imagine that Linnaeus would also add a resolution responsibility
to identifier. Would not his inclusion of resolution mechanism into
identifier be not that appropriate at this day and age?

Dima