[tdwg-content] Darwin Core vernacularName field

Paul J. Morris mole at morris.net
Thu Jul 21 18:12:23 CEST 2011

On Thu, 21 Jul 2011 11:59:19 -0400
Peter Desmet <peter.desmet at umontreal.ca> wrote:
>  I do know that some
> herbaria record vernacular names on a specimen level, but that is not
> really best practice, since vernacular names are in fact properties of
> taxa, and only by relation of specimens:

The place where an association of vernacular names with specimens is appropriate is in ethnobotany, where a specimen may be a voucher for the use of a particular vernacular name by a particular person or group for a particular plant.

Other than that, I'd concur, vernacular names are best treated as related to taxa.

-Paul
--
Paul J. Morris
Biodiversity Informatics Manager