[tdwg-content] New Term needs resolution: DigitalStillImage

John Wieczorek tuco at berkeley.edu
Fri Jul 15 00:44:13 CEST 2011

On Mon, Jul 11, 2011 at 9:45 PM, Steven J. Baskauf <
steve.baskauf at vanderbilt.edu> wrote:

> Given the uses John suggests (non-RDF data sharing, providing a
> controlled value for basisOfRecord), I think that adding the terms
> StillImage, Sound, and MovingImage to the Darwin Core type vocabulary is
> a reasonable course of action.  For more complex descriptions (i.e.
> RDF), additional information can be provided in the metadata to indicate
> whether the resource is available in digital form.
>
> Although these three terms are in the DCMI type vocabulary, the DCMI
> type vocabulary does not provide the controlled values for
> basisOfRecord, so they need to be in the DwC type vocabulary.

I have added three new issues (115-117) in the Darwin Core Issue Tracker (
http://code.google.com/p/darwincore/issues/list) to make sure these changes
get committed, if there are no objections by the end of the comment period
(3 August 2011).

> While we are on the subject of the DwC type vocabulary, is it also
> possible to fix the subclass issues (see
> http://code.google.com/p/darwincore/source/browse/trunk/rdf/dwctype.rdf),
> i.e.
> saying that an Occurrence is a subclass of an Event, and that a
> PreservedSpecimen is a subclass of an Occurrence?  Simplest solution
> there is to not make any of the DwC types be subclasses of any other types.

Yes, the subtyping can be removed. That will be more flexible going forward
than committing to an implied ontology that hasn't been fully developed.

For those new to this topic and interested in its history, discussions began
in late October 2010 on tdwg-content with the post archived at
http://lists.tdwg.org/pipermail/tdwg-content/2010-October/001778.html.

I have entered 6 issues (109-114) in the Darwin Core Issue tracker (
http://code.google.com/p/darwincore/issues/list) to make sure these changes
get committed, unless any objections are expressed by the end of the comment
period (3 August 2011).