[tdwg-content] New terms need resolution: "Evidence"

Steven J. Baskauf steve.baskauf at vanderbilt.edu
Tue Jul 12 05:56:15 CEST 2011

I am very much in support of the creation of this class.  In the
discussion that took place over the last year, it seems that there is a
consensus that an Occurrence is something different than the evidence
that supports it.  The class proposed here would clarify the distinction
between those two things.  This conceptual clarity will be important in
moving forward efforts to model the biodiversity domain.

I think that the definitions given below are adequate and I guess the
name CollectionObject would be OK with the examples given in the term
definition.  I agree with Gregor that the organism itself could serve as
evidence for its own existence, but I think that the organism would need
to be more than just geolocated.  If it were to actually serve as
evidence, some agency must be able to assert that the organism is
available for examination (i.e. it should be a LivingSpecimen, not just
located once in the wild).  I don't think that CollectionObject
necessarily implies that it must be a physical object, but since some
people might think that it does, I would recommend that the term
definition make it clear that the evidence could be electronic as well
as physical.  I think that for many people, the term "voucher" carries
the connotation of a physical specimen so I think CollectionObject would
probably mislead fewer people.

So the bottom line is that I would recommend that the example list in
the definition be expanded from "(specimen, sample, image, sound,
drawing, etc.)" to "(preserved or living specimen, sample, image, sound,
drawing, etc. including digital representations)" or something like that.

Steve