[tdwg-content] New terms need resolution: "Individual"

Richard Pyle deepreef at bishopmuseum.org
Sat Jul 9 15:17:01 CEST 2011

I have a very slow and tenuous email connection here in the field, so as
much as I would like to comment in my usual verbose fashion, that will need
to wait until my return to Hawaii at the end of July (sighs of relief and
sounds of joy can be heard across the internet....)

Very briefly:

1.  I favor the creation of an "Individual" class (indeed, I had planned to
propose it myself).

2. I believe that the term "BiologicalEntity" is the best term for this
class and its ID attribute.

3. I agree in general with the complete proposal as outlined by John in his
original email, but I will have more detailed comments about the included
attributes when I return.

4. If this proposal is ratified, then the term "IndividualID" in the
Occurrence class should be eliminated. (My first thought was to have it
changed to "BiologicalEntityID"; but no other class has these "foreign key"
equivalents in them, so best to handle it via Resource Relationship; see #6
below).

5. If this proposal is ratified, I do not think there needs to be a separate
class for "Evidence", as outlined in John's other email (at least not at
this time).

6. We need to have a good discussion about the appropriate use of
http://rs.tdwg.org/dwc/terms/index.htm#ResourceRelationship within DwC.  It
seems to me that this Class is underutilized.  Indeed, I think that it
should be the most heavily used Class in all of DwC, if indeed its function
is to establish relationships between instances of the same or different
(i.e., among or within) DwC classes.  If we used it more regularly and
consistently, we could eliminate all the "associatedXXX" terms (e.g.,
"associatedBiologicalEntities), and represent these associations via
instances of the resourceRelationship class.
Indeed, if we qualified the definition of this class, we may also be able to
use it to establish relationships with non-DwC Class identifiers as well
(e.g., perhaps negating the need for "
dcterms:references/dcterms:source/etc. terms currently being discussed on a
parallel thread.

OK....by my standards, at least, that was pretty brief.

Aloha,
Rich

P.S. To the BiSciCol'ers (SciColists?): I have CC'd our group because this
conversation is highly relevant to our project.

Various
> [...]
> Definition:	A resource describing an instance of the BiologicalEntity
class.
> Comment:	 For discussion see
> http://code.google.com/p/darwincore/wiki/DwCTypeVocabulary
> Type of Term:	http://www.w3.org/2000/01/rdf-schema#Class
> Refines:
> Status:	recommended
> Date Issued:	2011-07-04
> Date Modified:	2011-07-04
> Member Of:	http://rs.tdwg.org/dwc/terms/DwCType
> Has Domain:
> Has Range:
> Version:	BiologicalEntity-2011-07-04
> Replaces:
> Is Replaced By:
> Class:
> ABCD 2.06:	not in ABCD
>
> Term Name: biologicalEntityID
> Identifier:	http://rs.tdwg.org/dwc/terms/biologicalEntityID
> Namespace:	http://rs.tdwg.org/dwc/terms/
> Label:	biologicalEntityID
> Definition:	An identifier for the set of information associated with
> an BiologicalEntity. May be a global unique identifier or an identifier
specific
> to the data set.
> Comment:	For discussion see
> http://code.google.com/p/darwincore/wiki/BiologicalEntity
> Type of Term:	http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#Property
> Refines:	http://purl.org/dc/terms/identifier
> Status:	recommended
> Date Issued:	2011-07-04
> Date Modified:	2011-07-04
> Has Domain:
> Has Range:
> Version:	biologicalEntityID-2011-07-04
> Replaces:	individualID-2009-04-24
> Is Replaced By:
> Class:	http://rs.tdwg.org/dwc/terms/BiologicalEntity
> ABCD 2.06:	DataSets/DataSet/Units/Unit/
>
> Term Name: biologicalEntityRemarks
> Identifier:	http://rs.tdwg.org/dwc/terms/biologicalEntityRemarks
> Namespace:	http://rs.tdwg.org/dwc/terms/
> Label:	biologicalEntityRemarks
> Definition:	Comments or notes about the BiologicalEntity.
> Comment:	Example: "seen several times in Tilden Park before capture".
> For discussion see
> http://code.google.com/p/darwincore/wiki/CollectionObject
> Type of Term:	http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#Property
> Refines:
> Status:	recommended
> Date Issued:	2011-07-04
> Date Modified:	2009-07-04
> Has Domain:
> Has Range:
> Version:	biologicalEntityRemarks-2011-07-04
> Replaces:
> Is Replaced By:
> Class:	http://rs.tdwg.org/dwc/terms/BiologicalEntity
> ABCD 2.06:	DataSets/DataSet/Units/Unit/Notes
>
> Term Name: associatedBiologicalEntities
> Identifier:	http://rs.tdwg.org/dwc/terms/associatedBiologicalEntities
> Namespace:	http://rs.tdwg.org/dwc/terms/
> Label:	associatedBiologicalEntities
> Definition:	A list (concatenated and separated) of identifiers of
> other BiologicalEntity records and their associations to this
BiologicalEntity.