[tdwg-content] New term resolution: dcterms:source

John Wieczorek tuco at berkeley.edu
Wed Jul 6 19:09:02 CEST 2011

I agree that the meaning of dcterms:source is different from the stated
meaning of dwc:occurrenceDetails. The latter term originated with OBIS as

recordURL - Gives the web address of the page where more information on this
particular record (not on the whole dataset) can be found.

and was re-cast in Darwin Core 1.4 as

relatedInformation - Free text references to information not delivered via
the conceptual schema, including URLs to specimen details, publications,
bibliographic references, etc.

and is currently defined as

occurrenceDetails - A reference (publication, URI) to the most
detailed information
available about the Occurrence.

So, one could argue that the dcterms:source is not necessarily the most
detailed information available, and it would certainly not be only about
Occurrences.

So, occurrenceDetails certainly is no substitute for dcterms:source, and
dcterms:source doesn't exactly circumscribe occurrenceDetails as defined.
Nevertheless, the concepts are so nearly the same in definition, and
certainly in intent, that I propose that adding dcterms:source obviates the
need for occurrenceDetails as it will sufficiently cover the intended use of
occurrenceDetails while allowing the same for all record types.