[tdwg-content] Bioblitz as rdf: does this make sense?

Bob Morris morris.bob at gmail.com
Fri Jan 14 05:33:30 CET 2011

The geolocations in the *stans apparently have a systematic sign error
in the longitude. The one on the Turkish coast is more mysterious. If
the actual observer and observation time were available, the strategy
for quality control on geolocation outliers would start with
correlation of the locations of all the observations that day of the
observer whose data assert
   <geo:lat	38.47   geo:long	27.09>
For example, it's fairly unlikely that the observer could get from
Massachusetts to Turkey in a few hours.... OTOH, if it's a solitary
observation from that observer, it might really be a Turkish
observation.

Bob

On Thu, Jan 13, 2011 at 8:55 PM, Peter DeVries <pete.devries at gmail.com> wrote:
> Also the geoquery works but it seems to return some strange locations?
> http://bit.ly/dYQXUp
>
> Respectfully,
> - Pete
>
> On Thu, Jan 13, 2011 at 6:53 AM, joel sachs <jsachs at csee.umbc.edu> wrote:
>>
>> Pete,
>> Thanks - I corrected the geo properties.
>> Joel.
>>

>> On Wed, 12 Jan 2011, Peter DeVries wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Joel,
>>>
>>> Cool :-)
>>>
>>> I just loaded this into my SPARQL endpoint.
>>>
>>> In the named graph
>>> urn:org:linkedopenspeciesdata:dataspace:tdwg2010bioblitz
>>>
>>> It consists of 19,990 Triples
>>>
>>> Here is one of the dwc:taxonConceptID entries.
>>>
>>> *About: http://spire.umbc.edu/ethan/Ampelopsis_brevipedunculata*
>>>
>>> http://lsd.taxonconcept.org/describe/?url=http://spire.umbc.edu/ethan/Ampelopsis_brevipedunculata
>>>
>>> *About: http://www.cs.umbc.edu/~jsachs/occurrences/tdwg2010bioblitz_1627*
>>>
>>> <http://lsd.taxonconcept.org/describe/?url=http://spire.umbc.edu/ethan/Ampelopsis_brevipedunculata>
>>>
>>> http://lsd.taxonconcept.org/describe/?url=http://www.cs.umbc.edu/~jsachs/occurrences/tdwg2010bioblitz_1627
>>>

>>> <http://lsd.taxonconcept.org/describe/?url=http://www.cs.umbc.edu/~jsachs/occurrences/tdwg2010bioblitz_1627>This
>>> should give you an a count of occurrences.
>>>
>>> SELECT count(*) WHERE {?s a <http://rs.tdwg.org/dwc/terms/#Occurrence>};
>>>
>>> = 1882
>>>
>>> SELECT count(*) WHERE {?s a
>>> <http://rs.tdwg.org/dwc/terms/#taxonConceptID>};
>>>
>>> This should give you a list of occurrences
>>>

>>> http://lsd.taxonconcept.org/describe/?url=http://rs.tdwg.org/dwc/terms/%23Occurrence
>>>
>>> If this did not come through your email system try the bit.ly.
>>>
>>> http://bit.ly/g9BcoL
>>>
>>> I tried the following that should have given me a google map of all the
>>> occurrences but it did not result in the map.
>>>
>>> DESCRIBE ?x WHERE {
>>>  ?x <http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#type> <
>>> http://rs.tdwg.org/dwc/terms/#Occurrence>.
>>> }
>>>
>>> I looked that the RDF and I think I see the problem.
>>>
>>> In the RDF
>>>
>>> <geo:latitude>
>>> 41.53
>>> </geo:latitude>
>>>
>>> <geo:longitude>
>>> -70.67
>>> </geo:longitude>
>>>
>>> Should be
>>>
>>> <geo:lat>
>>> 41.53
>>> </geo:lat>
>>>
>>> <geo:long>
>>> -70.67
>>> </geo:long>
>>>
>>> See http://www.w3.org/2003/01/geo/
>>>
>>> I did the following query to get a list of all the dwc:taxonConceptID's
>>> and
>>> have attached them as a .txt file.
>>>
>>> select distinct ?o WHERE {?s
>>> <http://rs.tdwg.org/dwc/terms/#taxonConceptID>

> [...]