[tdwg-content] most GUIDs/URIs for names/taxon stuff not ready for prime time

Peter DeVries pete.devries at gmail.com
Sat Jan 8 16:54:43 CET 2011

Hi Tony,

I see what you are getting at at.

I think this has happened has several reasons, below is a partial list:

1) Human nature

2) The way these projects are funded

3) Many of these projects specialize in, or have subsets of all taxa -
neither NCBI or ITIS have all the North American Insects.
    Not even some common North American mosquitoes. So you need to make your
own ID's for these.

4) Data use restrictions which forces people to create and curate their own
lists.
    It is much easier to reconcile between the TaxonConcept.org and EUNIS
lists because they are both available as linked data with RDF dump files.

5) Too many different API's and formats including download formats.
    You should be able to go to one of these sites and get an unencumbered
list of what names they have for North American mosquitoes etc.

6) For several of these projects it is not clear to me how one would add a
species to their list,  unlike Wikipedia / Wikispecies.
It would seem to me that a simple contribute form page which would allow a
species to be added to a queue for possible incorporation is strangely
missing on most of these. I would not have needed to do what I have done if
I could easily add a name to ITIS, get back an ID that stayed the
same if the species was moved to a different genus and sent me an email if a
name I submitted changed or was somehow "flagged".

7) The fundamentally flawed co-mingling of the idea of a name being a unique
stable species identifier and a phylogenetic hypothesis for that species.
   * Ochlerotatus triseriatus* = *Aedes triseriatus*, *Felis concolor* = *Puma
concolor. *Or your whale example.

8) To many different standards on how a name should be formated, and the
fact that you need to know what "kind" of thing something is before you
    can format it correctly. Resistance by some to a solution for how to
properly format a name when you don't know what kind of thing it is.

Respectfully,

- Pete