[tdwg-content] Can all DwC be Simple DwC?

Matt Jones jones at nceas.ucsb.edu
Thu Jan 6 01:49:07 CET 2011

Hi Joel and Gregor,

This is exactly the type of issue being addressed by observation models in
the SONet and TDWG Observations groups.  Existing observations models (e.g.,
OBOE, O+M, etc) do provide the ability to use terms from OWL vocabularies
for the entity being measured and the measured characteristics as well as
for units, value space domains, and a variety of other salient components of
the observations.  I think there's a lot of potential for crosswalking these
with characters described in EQ and SDD.  If you're interested in the
observations work, you might be interested in the slides and some of the
background material that we prepared about the ways in which different
observational data models work and how they serialize observational data,
which are listed on the agenda from the last TDWG Observations meeting:
  https://sonet.ecoinformatics.org/workshops/tdwg-2010-meeting

These models address exactly the case described, but they don't try to put
complex, multidimensional data relations into a single flat structure as is
proposed using the subscripts shown here.

Observational data modeling work is discussed on the open mailing list '
obs at ecoinformatics.org' if you want to join in the discussion (subscribe at

Cheers,
Matt