[tdwg-content] Schema-last and crazy: correlated? [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

joel sachs jsachs at csee.umbc.edu
Wed Feb 23 23:05:22 CET 2011

Paul,

Is that Organism#hasIdentification URI from the TDWG ontology? I thought
the TDWG ontology was de facto deprecated. Am I wrong about that?

Not only does
http://tdwg.org/voc/Organism#hasIdentification
not dereference, but it doesn't even generate real hits via Google. (Even
http://tdwg.org/voc is broken.)

My thoughts about hasIdentification are in the context of representing
Darwin Core as rdf. I think it's important that we continue to allow (and
encourage) spreadsheet represntations of DwC, and that these map naturally
to de-normalized rdf.

I agree that it makes sense, as you suggest, to define hasIdentification
as a property without domain constraints, and then introduce subProperties
individualHasIdentification, occurrenceHasIdentification,
pictureHasIdentification, etc., each with the appropriate domain. Then,
applications that know what they're doing can apply the correct property.

You wrote: "a person who uses that predicate to describe a
painting is misusing the vocabulary and deserves what they get."

The problem is that it's not just the person who misuses a vocabulary that
gets a mess of incorrect inferences. We all do.

Joel.