[tdwg-content] Updated TDWG BioBlitz RDF Example with Pivot View and Data Browsing

Peter DeVries pete.devries at gmail.com
Wed Feb 23 22:56:28 CET 2011

I have updated my earlier revision of the TDWG BioBlitz RDF.

I commend Joel for his RDF and think that any suboptimality was because of
problems in trying to use the existing Darwin Core as Linked Data.

Some earlier issues that have been fixed in the new examples are:

1) The names for people were not standardized. Even as a text string you
could not find who collected what.
    To fix this I created URI's for all the individuals involved and linked
the occurrences to the URI for the person that made the observation

2) The names for species were not standardized or spell checked.
    It took a while but I was able to figure out what I think people "meant"
by the various name and linked them to species concepts.
    For those occurrences with multiple identifications, I linked the last
identification to the occurrences species concept.
    *Future BioBlitz's might benefit from a pick list at least to genus.

3) Virtuoso out of the box does not recognize "associatedMedia" as an image
that can be displayed. In order to get these to show up on the map view I
had to add each image as a foaf:depiction.
    Also associatedMedia is a bit vague and this should probably be broken
into different media types like images, sounds etc.

4) In my other RDF representations I make statement about the geonames
locations in which the species concept was observed so the continent, state
and county have "expectationsOf" the species and the species is "expectedIn"
those areas. I have added these statements to the example RDF so that both
the locations and the species concepts are linked to the occurrences.

5) I added in my proposed "area" so that it is easy to see what species were
observed near each other. Since there was no measure of radius in these
longitude and latitudes I made the radius 100 meters.
    Normally I would estimate the radius for a GPS reading to be within 10
meters but some of these observations were made where the GPS reading was
taken and the readings were given only to two decimals.

Area = long, lat; radius in meters following the ietf proposal but with the
precision of the long and lat standardized
example "geo:41.53000000,-70.67000000;u=100"

The example data are available at the following URL's


People: http://lod.taxonconcept.org/people/tdwg2010bioblitz.rdf

This bit.ly link will show clickable map with all the occurrences. (It is a
little slow to load)

The actual URL is <

But I don't expect that will go through everyone's emails correctly.

This Pivot view shows occurrences by investigator  http://bit.ly/eW3fgm

Here is are view of two of the records, note how you can browse between
people, species concepts, identifications, areas etc.



Here is a browsable view of one of the areas bit.ly  http://bit.ly/hBtVFL


Here is the view of the species concept for the Honey Bee that is now linked
to these occurrence records.


In summary, I think it make sense to follow LOD best practices because this
maximizes the utility of the data and allows you to take advantage of all
the available tools.


- Pete
Pete DeVries
Department of Entomology
University of Wisconsin - Madison
445 Russell Laboratories
1630 Linden Drive
Madison, WI 53706
TaxonConcept Knowledge Base <http://www.taxonconcept.org/> / GeoSpecies
Knowledge Base <http://lod.geospecies.org/>
About the GeoSpecies Knowledge Base <http://about.geospecies.org/>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://lists.tdwg.org/pipermail/tdwg-content/attachments/20110223/ebedf077/attachment.html 

More information about the tdwg-content mailing list