[tdwg-content] More Strange Monkey Business-like things in GBIF KOS Document

Hilmar Lapp hlapp at nescent.org
Fri Feb 18 07:12:01 CET 2011

On Feb 18, 2011, at 12:46 AM, Shawn Bowers wrote:

> BTW. I'm a bit confused though -- is EQ an OWL ontology? Or is it
> purely an abstract model that prescribes a convention for defining
> qualities, with concrete quality and entity ontologies being drawn
> from other places (like PATO)?

It's an abstract model. It can be expressed and implemented in OWL
(and also in OBO). It is model for defining phenotype classes (though
indeed in this model an EQ phenotype (class) is a subclass if a
quality (class)). The quality and entity terms are drawn from
ontologies that exist independently of (and in part predate) EQ.

> Where is the inheres_in property defined?

In RO (the Relations Ontology, see Smith et al, 2005).

	-hilmar