[tdwg-content] Darwin Core XML data using class terms

joel sachs jsachs at csee.umbc.edu
Wed Aug 3 16:16:32 CEST 2011

On Mon, 25 Jul 2011, Donald.Hobern at csiro.au wrote:

> I've been giving some thought to the class terms and the examples of
> class-based DwC data in the Darwin Core XML Guide
> (http://rs.tdwg.org/dwc/terms/guides/xml/index.htm - see the Classes and
> Containment section).  As this list has recently been discussing Simple
> DwC and the restrictions it imposes, I'd be interested in knowing of the
> experience of any projects that have sought to use the class terms as a
> mechanism for streaming richer data using Darwin Core.
>
> Can anyone provide examples of projects sharing data in this way?

Did anyone respond to you off list, Donald? DeVries and Baskauf/Webb are
both exploring class-based approaches, although they found it necessary to
go outside Darwin Core to do so. For the bioblitz, we moved from (almost)
Simple DwC in the Google Spreadsheet to class-based DwC in the RDF. I'm
curious to see other examples, whether rdf or xml-schema based.

> Are there any findings on the success of exporting and consuming
> class-based DwC data, in particular on the consistency of how such data
> are interpreted?
> Has anyone given thought to how a consumer would derive the equivalent
> of a set of best-fit Simple DwC records from the kind of class-based DwC
> presented in the guide's examples?

One can always de-normlalize (i.e. do a join on occurenceID) to get a
Simple DwC representation. But there will be multiple records for some
occurrences, one for each identification. I assume that what you're really
asking is either: "what heuristics should be used to determine the correct
identification, when multiple identification exists"? Or "what technical
solution (e.g. an appropriate annotation framework) can we deploy to
ensure that identificationVerificationStatus fields exist where possible?"
Is that correct?

Thanks,
Joel.