[tdwg-content] GBIF Darwin Core data publishing documents and tools

David Remsen (GBIF) dremsen at gbif.org
Mon Apr 11 17:19:54 CEST 2011

Dear TDWG Content

GBIF has produced a series of documents and supporting tools that
focus primarily on Darwin Core publishing.   They are divided into
three profiles each of which presents a series of documents based on
the different content types in which GBIF focuses:

1. primary biodiversity data, http://www.gbif.org/informatics/primary-data/publishing/
2. checklists, http://www.gbif.org/informatics/name-services/publishing/
3. resource metadata http://www.gbif.org/informatics/discoverymetadata/publishing/

While you may have seen the announcement of the GBIF Integrated
Publishing Toolkit earlier in the year,  we also have developed two
additional tools for producing Darwin Core Archives, which are
featured on these sites.

First,  we have produced a suite of MS Excel templates, currently
under evaluation, which are coupled with a web service that processes
completed files and returns a validated Darwin Core Archive.
Templates exist for primary biodiversity data, simple checklists, and
EML metadata.  See http://tools.gbif.org/spreadsheet-processor/

Second,  the Darwin Core Archive Assistant is a tool that composes a
XML metafile,  the only XML component of a Darwin Core Archive, for
you.  It presents a pick list of Darwin Core and extension terms,
accessed dynamically from the GBIF registry, and presents these to the
user who describe their data files.   This allows Darwin Core Archives
to be created for sharing with no installed software at all.   See http://tools.gbif.org/dwca-assistant/

We would appreciate any feedback on any or all of this as we roll
these tools and documents out to the GBIF community.

Best,
David Remsen

David Remsen, Senior Programme Officer
Electronic Catalog of Names of Known Organisms
Global Biodiversity Information Facility Secretariat
Universitetsparken 15, DK-2100 Copenhagen, Denmark
Tel: +45-35321472   Fax: +45-35321480
Mobile +45 28751472
Skype: dremsen