[tdwg-content] Why the Linked Data Approach Makes Sense For Biodiversity Informatics

Peter DeVries pete.devries at gmail.com
Thu Sep 30 06:52:08 CEST 2010

I got a question tonight at TDWG about the advantages of the Linked Data
approach.

I described one of the main advantages in this blog post.

http://www.taxonconcept.org/taxonconcept-blog/2010/8/5/why-linked-open-data-makes-sense-for-biodiversity-informatic.html

As with the BHL example, it often makes more sense to link to related data
curated maintained by a group which has that area as their primary concern.

The alternative is to spend resources replicating and curating data that is
outside the main focus of your work.

A related benefit is that the value of both linked resources is enhanced.

I am not a biographer, and there are often very good articles about
significant taxonomic authors on Wikipedia.

The value of both DBpedia and TaxonConcept are increased when I correctly
link between a species concept and a DBpedia resource describing a taxon
author.

For many of the taxa, you can go from a URI of a taxonomic author to lots of
additional information related to the taxa he or she described.

Respectfully,

- Pete

Pete DeVries
Department of Entomology