[tdwg-content] Treatise on Occurrence, tokens, and basisOfRecord [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

joel sachs jsachs at csee.umbc.edu
Thu Oct 28 20:10:02 CEST 2010

Hi Roger -

On Thu, 28 Oct 2010, Roger Hyam wrote:

> What exactly is an individual? A flock? A herd? A breading pair? A colony? A clonal stand?

I thought that Rich convinced everyone that a DwC:individual can be any
of those things.

> And of course the individual that was not there - the absence!

Absence assertions are a good example of something discussed earlier -
that occurrence records can be both raw data, and also the output of
analysis. It seems that one typical (or at least proper) workflow would be
i) infer the absence of a taxon in an area from an absence of occurrence
records together with an event record with an appropriate value for
samplingEffort.
ii) assert the absence, via an occurrence record w. occurrenceStatus="absent".
(Of course, there are cleaner ways to assert absence.)

Joel.