[tdwg-content] Treatise on Occurrence, tokens, and basisOfRecord [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Arlin Stoltzfus arlin at umd.edu
Thu Oct 28 19:09:21 CEST 2010

On Oct 28, 2010, at 11:58 AM, joel sachs wrote:

> Hey Rich, Hilmar, Paul, and everyone -
>
> I liked the definition from a couple of weeks ago:
>
> "An occurrence is a tuple consiting of time, place, individual, and
> some
> optional properties."
>
> What's that lacking?

Nothing, but the form of "occurrence" as a 3-way relation between a
thing, a place and a time might be less amenable to formal reasoning
than some other formulations, depending on how its rendered.

I thought that was the reason others had introduced "event" as place +
time.   Otherwise, what is the reason for "event"?

Arlin
-------
Arlin Stoltzfus (arlin at umd.edu)
Fellow, IBBR; Adj. Assoc. Prof., UMCP; Research Biologist, NIST
IBBR, 9600 Gudelsky Drive, Rockville, MD
tel: 240 314 6208; web: www.molevol.org