[tdwg-content] Treatise on Occurrence, tokens, and basisOfRecord [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Paul Murray pmurray at anbg.gov.au
Thu Oct 28 04:19:04 CEST 2010

On 28/10/2010, at 5:35 AM, Hilmar Lapp wrote:

>> 1) An Occurrence is the intersection of an Individual and an Event
>
> I suggest that we shouldn't call it an intersection to
> begin with. Avoids misunderstandings down the road.

Perhaps the word is 'product'? I am thinking along the lines that the cartesian product of the set of all Individuals and the set of all Events is the set of all possible Occurrences. Unfortunately, 'intersection' is quite a good word if we are thinking in natural language, and 'product' is not - not unless you are already thinking in terms of a mathematical vocabulary.

------
If you have received this transmission in error please notify us immediately by return e-mail and delete all copies. If this e-mail or any attachments have been sent to you in error, that error does not constitute waiver of any confidentiality, privilege or copyright in respect of information in the e-mail or attachments.

------