[tdwg-content] Treatise on Occurrence, tokens, and basisOfRecord

Richard Pyle deepreef at bishopmuseum.org
Wed Oct 27 20:59:54 CEST 2010

Thanks, Hilmar.

I must admit that I was initially confused about your earlier post, because
you seemed to be saying the same thing that I was saying (at least from the
perspective of logic).  However, I now realize that the problem was a
semantic one: i.e., the specific definition of the word "intersection".  I
was not even aware that there was an OWL definition for this term, and thus
certainly I was not using it in a way that is consistent with that
particular definition.

I'll add the word "intersection" to the long list of homonymous and
ambiguous (out of context) terms in our domain ("name", "class", "type",
"natural key", "significant", etc.).

Meanwhile, what would be an appropriate term to use for what I originally
meant, that would not collide with a more specific definition in some
particular space?

Some possibilities:

An Occurrence is a combination of an Individual and an Event.
An Occurrence is a coupling of an Individual and an Event.
An Occurrence is a pairing of an Individual and an Event.

Perhaps we need a comprehensive glossary of terms to cover the entire
spectrum of biodiversity informatics, including both the biological terms
and the informatics terms.

Aloha,
Rich