[tdwg-content] What is dwc:basisOfRecord for?

Blum, Stan SBlum at calacademy.org
Wed Oct 27 10:02:30 CEST 2010

Steve,

I'm wasn't involved in those final discussions of dwc:basisOfRecord and the
type vocabulary, but I don't see a difficulty.  The Dublin Core type
vocabulary includes the following:

    Collection
    Dataset
    Event
    Image
    InteractiveResource
    MovingImage
    PhysicalObject
    Service
    Software
    Sound
    StillImage
    Text

The Darwin Core types extend that with the three additional types, and with
Occurrence being further subtyped with those different kinds of Occurrences.

    Location
    Taxon
    Occurrence
        PreservedSpecimen
        FossilSpecimen
        LivingSpecimen
        HumanObservation
        MachineObservation
        NomenclaturalChecklist

Data publishers/providers should categorize their Occurrence data as one of
those subtypes (or perhaps another subtype that wasn't included in that
list).  It's up to the consumer to decide which kind of Occurrence subtypes
are appropriate for a particular use.

Could you give examples of the inconsistent use of values in basisOfRecord ?

Also note, John W. is traveling at the moment.  Markus might be able to
provide additional thoughts.

-Stan