[tdwg-content] practical details of recording a determination What is an Occurrence?

Steve Baskauf steve.baskauf at vanderbilt.edu
Thu Oct 21 03:25:04 CEST 2010

Well, I also feel pretty good about most of that diagram, but I'm still
struggling with the whole "token" thing.  I feel the need to discuss
basisOfRecord=LivingSpecimen which is the most complicated case and is
also related to the previous discussion about dwc:establishmentMeans as
well as my proposal to move it to the proposed Individual class.  It is
also related to another issue that I haven't broached here but which is
discussed in my paper - "Occurrences" that aren't directly derived from
an individual.  I'm beginning to think that part of what I wrote there
(in the paper) was wrong, but I'm not sure what the alternative is.
That issue will probably come up if I comment about what Cam wrote in
his email.  So there may be more to hash out, but I can't handle it
today because I've got too many other things to do.  I've been mentally
composing what I hope is a lucid presentation, but it hasn't hit the
keyboard yet.

Steve
> I have to say, this has been about the most productive (if volumunous)
> list-discussion I've had in...well...maybe ever.  It seems we've both been
> equally persuasive, and equally willing to concede.  How rare that happens
> in an internet forum!  I'm not sure there's anything left that we disagee
> about.  If the "diagram1" seems to resonate with everyone as the most
> "normalized" ER diagram we'll likely ever need, and if we can somehow
> accommodate flexibility in RDF for collapsing attributes to different
> classes (but only from the "one" side to the "many" side) -- then we might
> have achived the elusive Holy Grail of biodiversity informatics: true
> consensus.
>

>> Thanks for your great feedback and for challenging my statements.  I need
>>
> that!
>
> Likewise!
>
> Aloha,
> Rich