[tdwg-content] practical details of recording a determination What is an Occurrence? [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

greg whitbread ghw at anbg.gov.au
Wed Oct 20 15:16:32 CEST 2010

Steve,

Our information system requirements  here at CANB have resulted in a data
model that looks pretty-much like Rich's
diagram<http://bioimages.vanderbilt.edu/pages/rich-diagram1.gif>
1 (except we choose, as you suggest, to sink location into event - though
for the reason that each event will normally result in a unique description
of its locality) but we do have applications that prefer to view these data
as you have modelled it at
diagram2<http://bioimages.vanderbilt.edu/pages/rich-diagram2.gif>
.  Interestingly the former is very close to the ASC data model (Blum 199?
which I could not find online) and the latter, very like ABCD (if you
collapse individual to an instance of occurrence).  Neither of these look
much like Darwin Core Archive format which requires one to collapse
everything to properties of an occurrence.

In our system very few properties have definitions that correspond to Darwin
Core terms. Even our classes have different definitions.  When we
interchange data between Australian herbaria we choose to stick with
hispid<http://hiscom.chah.org.au/wiki/HISPID5>

which provides for more precise definitions and tighter controlled
vocabularies than are possible with Darwin Core (eventually I would hope
that these narrower terms might be mapped vertically with Darwin Core within
a TDWG knowledge organisation system implemented using broader standards)
but this does not prevent us mapping local vocabularies into darwin core for
the purpose of delivering data to GBIF, the ALA or any network that chooses
to to accept data in a more generic state.  In many cases, especially when
we consider individual values for any given term, this results in
information loss but as this is essentially one way traffic its not our
loss.

So for the benefit of those consumers of generic TDWG product we try to
provide services delivering DwC, ABCD, HISPID, TCS, TDWG-RDF, etc as
expected.  Thats what our clients expect and it works for us because it
simplifies the development of local API.

In our world occurrence is an abstraction and one of the hardest things to
deliver using DwC. It simply does not exist as a distinct object within our
information system.  As a relation using gathering and taxon it is
essentially an ephemeral thing.  Sooner or later it  will change … same
identifiers for a different taxon at the same locality. These data are also
highly repetitive and a dilemma we face in delivery is how to choose which
values to omit when mapping to Darwin Core Occurrence.

The point is that in Darwin core we have a standard for communication at a
very generic level. The fact that ones "individual" maps to DwC as
"occurrence" or that we have 200 million specimen annotations that cannot be
mapped to concepts or that I must choose one of 27 unique identifiers for
objects resulting from a single gathering to construct a DwC record does not
prevent us from choosing to model the world in a way that best suits the our
particular requirements or delivering data into the Global network using
Darwin Core.

When comes to RDF representations there is a simple rule that we use well
known forms wherever possible. But here we have the advantage of being able
to incorporate generic vocabulary within more expressive content.  To say
what we mean without excluding consumers with only the core vocabulary.

greg

Greg Whitbread
Australian National Botanic Gardens
Australian National Herbarium