[tdwg-content] practical details of recording a determination What is an Occurrence?

Arlin Stoltzfus arlin at umd.edu
Tue Oct 19 18:15:01 CEST 2010

On Oct 19, 2010, at 11:35 AM, Steve Baskauf wrote:

>  I've tried to recreate your diagram at
> http://bioimages.vanderbilt.edu/pages/rich-diagram1.gif

Note that the visible label gives the correct URL (http://bioimages.vanderbilt.edu/pages/rich-diagram1.gif
), but for some reason its linked to the wrong URL-- so don't click
it, just cut & paste it.

Arlin

> [...]
>>> there is no indication of the concept?
>>>

>> As I said in an earlier post, the single most important way to reduce
>> taxonomic ambiguity is to try to capture (or confidently deduce)
>> the source
>> (=mapping to taxon concept).  But if it can't be done, then it
>> can't be done
>> -- so I'm inclined to establish a "place-holder" dwc:Taxon
>> instance, with no
>> nameAccordingTo, and no other metadata besides the scientificName.
>>

>>> Is this just something we can't do for old annotations
>>> and just something that we try to do from this point forward?
>>>

>> Probably.
>>

>>> 4. The last question is one that I really want to some
>>> opinions about.  It seems to me that there are a number
>>> of reasons why one would apply a determination.
>>>

>> Hmmm....I don't think this is really useful information.  I don't
>> undersatand how you would use this information ina  machine-
>> processing sort
>> of way.  An Identification is an Identification.  In some cases, the
>> Identifier may not even be aware of the previous identification,
>> and so we
>> can necessarily infer there was a particular "reason".  And even if
>> there is
>> a reason, how doe we use that information? What if there is more
>> than one
>> reason (i.e., if we are restricted to a controlled vocabulary)?
>>
>> As far as I'm concerned, the Identifications should stand as they
>> are.  If
>> needed people can annotate the Identification instances; but I
>> don't see the
>> value in machine-processing these things.
>>
>> Also:
>>

>>> Finally, a single determiner might apply
>>> several determinations to one individual and indicate
>>> in each determination the concept intended (i.e. if
>>> you subscribe to Cronquist, you'd call it X; if you
>>> like Radford's book, you'd call it Y; if you like
>>> Weakley's treatment, you'd call it Z).
>>>

>> YIKES!  I don't like the idea of loading all that information on an
>> Identification instance.  If the person wants to make this sort of
>> assertion, then they should establish the appropriate
>> relationshipAssertion
>> instances among the various taxonConcepts cited.
>>
>> Damn.  Now my head is really tired.  And so is the rest of me....
>>
>> Aloha, and g'night..
>>
>> Rich
>>

>> .
>>

> --
> Steven J. Baskauf, Ph.D., Senior Lecturer
> Vanderbilt University Dept. of Biological Sciences
>
> postal mail address:
> VU Station B 351634
> Nashville, TN  37235-1634,  U.S.A.
>
> delivery address:
> 2125 Stevenson Center
> 1161 21st Ave., S.
> Nashville, TN 37235
>
> office: 2128 Stevenson Center
> phone: (615) 343-4582,  fax: (615) 343-6707

-------
Arlin Stoltzfus (arlin at umd.edu)
Fellow, IBBR; Adj. Assoc. Prof., UMCP; Research Biologist, NIST
IBBR, 9600 Gudelsky Drive, Rockville, MD
tel: 240 314 6208; web: www.molevol.org