[tdwg-content] What is an Occurrence? [what about the "token"] [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Greg Whitbread ghw at anbg.gov.au
Mon Oct 18 09:17:39 CEST 2010

After asking, very nicely, for more than twenty years, that botanists do
their best to anchor determinations to published taxonomic fact; and
providing, at much expense, applications to make this easy to do through
lookups in the Australian Plant Name Index and the Australian Plant
Census I have come to the conclusion that it is probably not achievable
using this route.

In some ways I no longer think that this even matters very much. If we
can achieve robust standards for semantic interoperability between *all*
of the parts of our domain it should eventually be possible to infer
such causal relationships through the evidence of taxa, names,
annotations, specimens, locality, agents and the like - in much the same
ways that people do. The work of the APNI and APC teams in documenting
concepts and the linked data experiments of Rod Page, Pete de Vries and
others provides hope that somewhere someone will be battling against all
odds to make this possible.  One certain thing is that we still have to
deal with the hundreds of millions of specimens out there that are
simply tagged with names.

The route to acceptance of the need for semantic integration of these
data may come, as Nico suggests, through the publication of born
interoperable content. Names, taxa, individuals ( or their parts ) and
their interrelationships published in such a way that reuse is trivial -
using simple tools to hide perceived complexity within familiar semantic
frameworks and well known forms.  Value adding by reference as simple as
drag-and-drop. Point and click for detail. A complete taxonomic object
no bigger than a URI looking for all the world like a simple taxon name.

greg.