[tdwg-content] "Wrong" RDF, was Re: What I learned at the TechnoBioBlitz

Arlin Stoltzfus arlin at umd.edu
Thu Oct 14 16:22:44 CEST 2010

On Oct 14, 2010, at 10:05 AM, John Wieczorek wrote:

> What if we try a slightly different world view from the one you
> propose centered on the Individual? Namely, let the Occurrence stand
> as "evidence that a taxon occurred at a place and time." That is to
> say, we may or may not care about the concept of an individual in
> our thinking and our data capture. In this view, the Occurrence
> remains the central concept, and the rest of the data highlights the
> evidence. Hence, a skull in a collection (and the information
> gathered about the collection event) is the evidence that a taxon
> occurred at a place and time.  Similarly, a digital image of an
> identifiable individual from a camera trap is the evidence that a
> taxon occurred at a place and time. A fossil having myriad
> individuals is evidence that taxa occurred at a place and time based
> on a GeologicalContext.

If users try to pack a lot of context-dependent significance and
meaning into their annotations (what the user "cares about" in the
example), and present a fundamental observation only through layers of
inference, this makes it more difficult to re-use or re-purpose the
results, because the ultimate consumer of the information may not
share the same motivations and perspectives.

Arlin

> [...]
> could take an image of the feather, but that would be a different
> thing from an image of the bird.  We didn't get the DNA sample from
> the feather, we got it via a blood sample from the bird.  The band
> observation is not an observation of the feather, or the image or
> the DNA sample.  It's an observation of the bird which was never any
> kind of specimen living or dead.  The bird is an individual organism
> and that's what we need to call it.  Right now we don't have
> anything in Darwin Core that can be used to rdfs:type the bird,
> which is why I proposed Individual as a Darwin Core class.
>
> I could say these things more clearly in RDF, but since because many
> members of the audience of this message aren't familiar with RDF/XML
> they would probably zone out and the point would be lost.  The point
> is that we need to have identifiable classes of "resources" (the
> technical name for "things" like physical artifacts, concepts, and
> electronic representations) for all of the things that that we need
> to describe and inter-relate in the Darwin Core world.  Right now,
> we are missing one of the important pieces that we need, which is a
> class for the Individual.  If we are satisfied with creating an RDF
> model that only works for specimens and one-time observations, then
> we probably don't need Individual as a Darwin Core class.  On the
> other hand, if TDWG and GBIF are really serious about creating a
> system (Darwin Core and RDF based on it) that can handle other types
> of Occurrences like multiple images of live organisms, observations
> of the same organism over time, and multiple types of Occurrences
> collected from the same organism, then this capability should be
> built into the system from the start.  When I got back from the TDWG
> meeting, I was all excited about trying to use Darwin Core Archives
> with my live plant image collection.  However, it quickly became
> evident that it could not work because Occurrences were at the
> center of the diagram rather than Individuals.  So unless something
> changes, we are already embarking on the process of locking out
> these other Occurrence types.
>
> I hate to sound like a broken record (do we have those any more?),
> but read my paper on this subject.  It explains the rationale better
> than this email, has nice diagrams, and gives RDF examples to
> illustrate everything (https://journals.ku.edu/index.php/jbi/article/view/3664
> ).  If somebody has a better idea of how to develop an internally
> consistent system that can handle the problems I've raised here that
> DOESN'T involve Individuals (i.e. other "right"[=semantically
> accurate] ways to express properties and relationships among
> Identifications, Taxa, diverse types of Occurrences, etc.) I'd like
> to hear what it is.  Or perhaps as Stan has suggested, there needs
> to be a task group that can hash out alternative views.  But let's
> have the discussion before we post models and suggest people use them.

-------
Arlin Stoltzfus (arlin at umd.edu)
Fellow, IBBR; Adj. Assoc. Prof., UMCP; Research Biologist, NIST
IBBR, 9600 Gudelsky Drive, Rockville, MD
tel: 240 314 6208; web: www.molevol.org