[tdwg-content] "Wrong" RDF, was Re: What I learned at the TechnoBioBlitz

Richard Pyle deepreef at bishopmuseum.org
Thu Oct 14 11:13:07 CEST 2010

I think the problem is much simpler and less sinsiter than this.  I think
the problem is that we have many people who inderstand biodiversity data
very well, but go glassy-eyed on technical discussions about RDF (e.g., me).
And there are also people who understand RDF (and other related protocols
and technologies), who go glassy-eyed on discussions about subtle
distinctions between taxon names and taxon concepts (and other such
details).

There are only a very few people who seem to have a foot firmly in both
camps; and half the time those people will go over the heads of both other
groups simultaneously (and hence not be understood by either).

And then you have extreme examples of people who understand taxon names and
concepts very well (like me), but are put in the awkward position of trying
to develop core web services (like ZooBank).

Like I said in an earlier post, a little knowledge is a dangerous thing.
Sometimes a VERY dangerous thing.

Aloha,
Rich

  _____