[tdwg-content] How to record "Nativeness"?

Bailly, Nicolas (WorldFish) N.BAILLY at CGIAR.ORG
Wed Oct 13 04:24:06 CEST 2010

Dear All,

Completely agree with Rich's analysis.

May I coin two new terms? But before, I think we should separate the
definition of occurrences from their use, which remove many questions
evocated in previous messages):

Occurrence:

At least a triplet (a taxon name, a location, a time);  whatever the
precision of each member of the triplet is.

The difference is in only in the use that we can do of an occurrence
depending on the respective precision of each member of the triplet.
Ontologies by definition should reflect the patterns not the processes
(although technically I suppose that processes can be described by
ontologies ... but it is an extension of the meaning of the word).

Name:

>From "living organism" (extant or fossil) down to infrasubspecific rank
if needed. Can it be a common name? Yes, it may decrease the precision
or even the accuracy, that is all.

Location:

>From Earth/continent/ocean/catchment down to precise geocoordinates.
Earth is always implicit and by default until we find life out in space.

Time:

>From 4.5 billion year range / geological era down to a precise date/time
stamp.

Here are the two new terms I propose (and more could be coined using the
same way):

Geoccurrence: an occurrence with geocoordinates.

Loccurrence: an occurrence with only a locality/geographic name.

Should we coin terms for occurrences resulting from modeling?

Another consideration: species distribution modeling is a
rationalization of the production of distribution maps, just like
cladistics is a rationalization of the production of phylogenies.

For cladistics, in essence we sample individuals in the real genealogic
tree (= tokogenetic tree of Hennig): but can we say that actually all
characters used in cladistics lead back to a given individual? Maybe
true for molecular data but this statement needs more thinking; I don't
think it is true for morphology, and it is the same way for synthetic
descriptions and older works, as Rich described as using all imprecise
old records.

Likewise for distribution, we sample individuals, and also use the best
of loccurrences based on imprecise location (cf. Jeremy Jackson work on
historical records and trends).

As for recording nativeness, I would suggest that it is a general issue
for all controlled vocabularies that try to establish categories over a
continuum: the only way to get rid of all these problematic definitions,
and most probably incl. occurrences, is to express them with fuzzy
logic: we can say that a species is more or less native, especially if
the abundance is gradient from a center to peripheral areas, and then it
could derive from species distribution modeling based on geoccurrences
and loccurrences expressed as fuzzy functions.

So the next step is to include fuzzy logic in ontologies ;-). And TDWG
becoming a fuzzy think tank ;-).

BW

Nicolas.