[tdwg-content] How to record "Nativeness"?

Richard Pyle deepreef at bishopmuseum.org
Tue Oct 12 22:11:24 CEST 2010

Damn!  I wish I'd read this before writing that massive reply to Roger
(note: I'm trying to move this into the new thread with the new subject
line).

I agree with most of what Steve wrote, but I still disagree (as I did with
Roger) that the distinction between Steve's two meanings of "Occurrence" is
so stark. I agree there is a fundamental distinction from the perspective of
data management between:

TaxonConcept<-->Location

And

TaxonConcept<-->Occurrence<-->Event<-->Location

My contention, however, is that "TaxonConcept<-->Location" is often
(usually? always?) just a short-hand (scant metadata) way of representing
"TaxonConcept<-->Occurrence<-->Event<-->Location".  Our domain (biodiversity
information) is full of these overloaded short-hand terms, and they're often
not easy to detect as such (e.g., so many databases simply represent implied
taxon concepts as text-string scientific names).

In my mind, the "essence" of an Occurrence is, ultimately, "organism(s) at
place and time".  The "place and time" part are represented as a dwc:Event
class linked to a dcterms:Location class.  The tricky part is what do we
mean by "organism(s)".  I suspect most would agree that an individual bird
falls within scope of "organism(s)" in the case of dwc Occurrence.  I
further suspect that most would agree that a flock of birds also falls
within scope.

But what about a population of birds?  No?  What is a population, other than
a set of individual organisms?  How is this different from a "flock" (a
smaller set of individual organisms)?

And what about a taxon concept?  No?  What is a taxon concept, other than a
(larger) set of individual organisms?

The fact is, there is a smooth continuum spanning:

IndividualOrganism<-->Event
GroupOfIndividualOrganisms<-->Event
PopulationOfIndividualOrganisms<-->Event
TaxonCocnept<-->Event

Each of the four items above has overlapping scope with adjacent items in
the list (the overlap between the first two is evident in colonial
organisms).

Steve, many thanks for sending the link to your paper.  I apologize that I
have not read it yet (I often don't have time to stay on top of this list,
so I missed your earlier reference to it), but I will.  Just be aware that
while my contributions to this thread are not in published/peer-reviewd
form, they are nevertheless the result of more than two decades of dealing
with biodiversity datasets, and very careful thinking and reasoning (i.e.,
as much as it may seem otherwise, these are much more than
spur-of-the-momnent rants).

Aloha,
Rich