[tdwg-content] What I learned at the TechnoBioBlitz

Richard Pyle deepreef at bishopmuseum.org
Tue Oct 12 21:30:21 CEST 2010

Hi Arlin,

In principle, I agree with you (at least I desperately want to).  But I
would just point out two things:

1) Many, many end-users want to filter results to include only "natural"
occurrences of organisms.  For small datasets/analyses, this can easily be
done manually by the end-user.  For large datasets and analyses, it would be
very helpful to have this information embedded within the source dataset
(and also the custodian of the dataset will often be in a better position to
make such a judgement).

2) Although I agree that "not uniformly implemented" is a very serious risk
at this point (and hence why I spent so much time writing emails on this
thread), I'm not so sure the solution necessarily needs to be fancy.  I'm
still confident it can be resolved with a simple controlled vocabulary.  The
hard part will be figuring out the scope of that vocabulary.

Aloha,
Rich