[tdwg-content] Idea for Discussion, Differentiating between "type's" of identifiers

Arlin Stoltzfus arlin at umd.edu
Thu Oct 7 18:01:33 CEST 2010

This issue came up in the phylogenetic standards subgroup, which (at
the TDWG meeting last week) started to assess current best practices
for publishing a phylogenetic tree electronically.  One of the issues
that came up is that there is no standard way of making a link between
a tree (a clade or node) and a species.  Some of the file formats used
in phylogenetics can do this explicitly, and others can't.  I made
some toy examples of encodings on our twiki here:

   http://wiki.tdwg.org/twiki/bin/view/Phylogenetics/LinkingTrees2010#A_set_of_toy_files_for_illustrat

Here is how it is done in phyloXML:

<clade>
      <taxonomy>
           <id provider="UBio">http://www.ubio.org/authority/metadata.php?lsid=urn:lsid:ubio.org:namebank:3854553
</id
           <scientific_name>Gallus gallus</scientific_name>
      </taxonomy>
</clade>

and here is how it is rendered in the nexml output from TreeBase:

     <otu id="otu4" label="Gallus_gallus_CAA25046.1">
" id="meta5" rel="skos:closeMatch" xsi:type="nex:ResourceMeta"/>
id="meta6" property="skos:altLabel" xsi:type="nex:LiteralMeta"/>
     </otu>

phyloXML and NeXML are emerging XML standards for phylogenetics.

Arlin