[tdwg-content] Name is species concept thinking

Kevin Richards RichardsK at landcareresearch.co.nz
Thu Jun 10 23:21:33 CEST 2010

I think my main point here was the fact that in most schemas we (TDWG, et al) have created, we have not really provided an ID field for (2).  As you said (2) is the "concept definition" but there is no ID field (that I have come across), for referring to it explicitly.

My thought would be to have something like:

http://zoobank.org/taxonconcept/12345-ABCDE

that returns data for the "whole" taxon concept (ie 2), not just the Name + Reference

I think it is really a data/technical issue - ie the way the schemas/models are defined, a Taxon Concept ID includes, and only includes, a Name ID and a Reference ID.  This is based on my understanding of TCS - perhaps DwC is different??

Kevin