[tdwg-content] Name is species concept thinking

Roger Hyam rogerhyam at mac.com
Mon Jun 14 10:03:46 CEST 2010

On 13 Jun 2010, at 22:04, Richard Pyle wrote:

> Dude...this conversation has been ongoing for more than 20 years

Rich,

I reckon about 2,500 years if you count the kick off as being Plato/Aristotle and the notion of essences (in Western cultures at least) but we are probably more up to date than this - perhaps advancing as far as John Locke in the 17th century.

What was the 'biological' (rather than epistemological) problem we were trying to solve?

All the best,

Roger