[tdwg-content] canonical name for named hybrid & infragenericnames [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

dipteryx at freeler.nl dipteryx at freeler.nl
Sun Dec 12 11:16:09 CET 2010

Van: tdwg-content-bounces at lists.tdwg.org namens Tony.Rees at csiro.au
Verzonden: za 11-12-2010 22:10

> In any case, to summarise, a recipient / parser of incoming
> taxonomic names and associated data must therefore be able
> to cope successfully with hybrid indicators for genera in
> any of the following formats:

>  ×Foo (ICBN preferred usage as per examples)

***
 Yes, the preferred style.
* * *

>  × Foo (apparently tolerated, since white space appears to be optional??)

***
 This is not merely tolerated, but perfectly in order.
 It is a matter of style.
* * *

>  x Foo (ICBN preferred alternative)

***
 No, this is disallowed by the ICBN (Art. H.1). This is
 something that is only to be used when out of reach of
 a computer, as in when using a typewriter.
* * *

>  X Foo (apparently incorrect, but found in some quite
> reputable systems)

***
 Again, disallowed by the ICBN.
* * *

>  xFoo (again, probably tolerated, but not sure...)

***
 Again, disallowed by the ICBN.
* * *

> I am also presuming that in all these cases, the equivalent
> canonical version would be Foo. Does this mean that an extra
> DwC field would also be needed now, for hybrid indicator?

***
In that case it is a good idea to keep in mind that this extra
DwC field for hybrid indicator would be needed at each of the
three levels.

Paul van Rijckevorsel