[tdwg-content] proposed term: dwc:verbatimScientificName

Peter DeVries pete.devries at gmail.com
Thu Dec 9 18:49:11 CET 2010

It is my understanding that GBIF intends to split the verbatim scientific
name and authorship in their processing.

So those millions of records will be split.

They will probably also provide a service that will split the names for you.

This clarification of scientificName just makes this more clear all the way
down.

It also is a better match for how scientific name is used in most
publications and related knowledge bases like Wikipedia, NCBI Taxonomy and
eBird (probably Wikispecies too).

The parsers will need to look for well formed strings and in the interim
they can split it if needed.

If they are already split it makes it much easier to determine what are
correctly formed strings and what are not.

This reminds me of the many ways you can format a bibliographic citation.
What some people seem to want is
to have everyone adopt their citation format. What makes more sense it to
keep the separate things separate and then combine them into whatever format
is needed at the end.

It makes sense for end users to keep the authorship string is a separate
field anyway.

How do they search for all the descriptions that might be tied to same
publication etc.?

Respectfully,

- Pete

Pete DeVries