[tdwg-content] proposed term: dwc:verbatimScientificName

Peter DeVries pete.devries at gmail.com
Thu Dec 9 18:11:41 CET 2010

Ebird and NCBI have just genus and specific epithet, most publications have
just the genus and specific epithet.

That is what you have to match against first and then try to determine what
is the most appropriate or intended authority.

Essentially you have a has many relationship with

scientificName hasMany authorities (authorship strings)

Also what is not made clear in your earlier example is that

Every scientificName: Lobelia spicata var. spicata

is an instance of

scientificName: Lobelia spicata

In relation to occurrence records you will have specimens of Lobelia spicata
var. spicata that were
identified as Lobelia spicata.

This should be done in away where those searching for specimens etc of Lobelia
spicata also get
those entries labeled Lobelia spicata var. spicata and Lobelia spicata ssp.
spicata etc.

Respectfully,

- Pete