[tdwg-content] DwC taxonomic terms

Peter DeVries pete.devries at gmail.com
Fri Sep 4 04:31:34 CEST 2009

Richard,
Your proposed plan does not actually give researchers what they need for
large scale analysis.

They need to know what is "meant" by a particular identifier.

In the mosquito community we have a split between those who have adopted *
Ochlerotatus* as a genus.
For some this changed *Aedes triseriatus* to *Ochlerotatus triseriatus*,
others refuse to adopt the new name.

Are these the same or different things?

Under your scheme they are different things because the idea that an entity
is a species is merged
with the particular taxonomic placement of that entity.

How does your proposal solve this?

What is needed is a linked data identifier that resolves to data that help
determine those instances of

*Aedes triseriatus* and *Ochlerotatus triseriatus* that are the same, and
those instances that are different.

In reference to the earlier discussion on separating identifiers from
resolution, how will a user determine
if occurrences tagged with the *Aedes triseriatus* UUID or LSID and those
tagged with the *Ochlerotatus*
*triseriatus* LSID are referring to the same species?

The proposed solution leaves users with just a name and no clear way of
determining what the person identifying
the specimen actually meant. The original species description is amazingly
non-informative.

Most non-taxonomist's don't care that much about what particular genus
something is in. They care that
the specimens they collected with malaria parasites are linked to other
specimens of the same species.
At those times they do care, they want quick way to lookup the current name
*i.e. phylogenetic hypothesis*
**that can remain linked to their data.

If you leave in the TaxonConceptID, then users have a choice of filling it
in or ignoring it. For those that would
like to use something like this, it will dramatically improve data
integration and move disagreements about
name changes in the background. A change, that I think, would improve the
relationship between taxonomists
and other biological scientists.

There were a number of other issues in previous emails that suggested that
the taxonomic community
has chosen to rehash informatics issues that have already been thoroughly
discussed by the scientific
informatics community. What is somewhat alarming is that they seem to have
come to completely
opposite conclusions.

Also the thread on "trust" seemed particularly misinformed. If the writer
intended to imply that by going to
the current GBIF site they can "trust" the data, they are wrong. I see no
mechanism on the GBIF home
page that allows me to determine that this is the "real" GBIF site.

This is not meant to disparage GBIF, but to clarify the discussion. In fact
the person who seems to be
the most concerned with "trust" does not have any way to authenticate that
his highly touted resolution
service is the "real" one.

I suspect that the "trust" issue was either particularly uninformed or a
smoke screen for a different issue
which may be about data and services from cronies vs. data and services from
non-cronies.

If you don't trust a particular provider, you can just remove those URI's
from your data store by filtering by
"context" or reification.

Respectfully,

- Pete

Pete DeVries <http://spiders.entomology.wisc.edu/pjd/index.html>
Department of Entomology
University of Wisconsin - Madison
445 Russell Laboratories
1630 Linden Drive
Madison, WI 53706
Email: pdevries at wisc.edu
GeoSpecies Knowledge Base <http://species.geospecies.org/>
About the GeoSpecies Knowledge Base <http://about.geospecies.org/>

On Wed, Sep 2, 2009 at 2:53 PM, Richard Pyle <deepreef at bishopmuseum.org>wrote:

> [...]
>
> Fine by me.
>
> > verbatimTaxonRank: The verbatim original taxonomic rank of the
> scientificName.
>
> I think this is OK, but I'm not entirely sure how strictly the term
> "verbatim" is applied.  For example, should this be verbatim as it appears
> on the specimen label or original database record (e.g., "f." if it says
> "f."; "forma" if it says "forma", etc.)  Or, does it just mean the
> "interpreted" rank (i.e., convert "f." to "forma").  My inclination is the
> former; but for most names (i.e., those without explicit rank qualifiers
> embedded within the name-string), this would be blank.  For example, all
> species and higher ranks would be blank, because nobody explicitly writes
> "species" when listing a species name.  To a zoologist, a subspecies name
> looks like "Centropyge loriculus flammeus", but to a botanist it looks like
> "Centropyge loriculus subsp. flammeus".  Sensu stricto, the use of the word
> "verbatim" would imply that the zoologist would leave this item empty, but
> the botanist would enter "subsp."  Do I interpret this correctly?  Or (as I
> suspect), do I misunderstand the purpose of this item.
>
> > scientificNameAuthorship, nomenclaturalCode - unchanged
>
> Fine by me.
>
> > taxonPublicationID: A unique identifier for the publication of the Taxon.
>
> Presumably this would be the publication to which the specific usage
> instance for taxonID/taxonNameUsageID is anchored.  If so, then I think the
> definition needs to be expanded.  As written, some people might interpret
> the publication as always being the original publication (i.e., the
> "Günther
> 1874" of "Centropyge loriculus Günther 1874 sec Allen 1975").  Others might
> (more correctly, in my view) interpret it as the concept definition
> publication (i.e., the "Allen 1975" of "Centropyge loriculus Günther 1874
> sec Allen 1975").
>
> > taxonPublication: A reference for the publication of the Taxon.
>
> Same comment as above.
>
> > taxonomicStatus, nomenclaturalStatus, taxonAccordingTo, taxonRemarks,
> > vernacularName - unchanged.
>
> I'm fine with all of these except possibly taxonAccordingTo, which I need
> think about some more.
>
> Sorry for the long post -- I'm just making up for having not been part of
> this discussion earlier.  I am more than happy to help draft revised
> definitions for all of these terms, but only after we resolve their
> intended
> scope & meaning.
>
> By the way, where do I find the current draft definitions for all these
> terms? When I go to http://code.google.com/p/darwincore/wiki/Taxon, I only
> see definitions for three of the terms.
>
> Aloha,
> Rich
>
> Richard L. Pyle, PhD
> Database Coordinator for Natural Sciences
>  and Associate Zoologist in Ichthyology
> Department of Natural Sciences, Bishop Museum

Pete DeVries