[tdwg-content] biostatus

Kevin Richards RichardsK at landcareresearch.co.nz
Thu Sep 10 06:01:14 CEST 2009

Absolutely, the invasive species people need to have their input here.  Invasive species data is a great use case of biostatus data.

There should be allowance for invasive attributes in the new Darwin Core, considering the invasive species group attempted to extend darwin core previously.

I do believe biostatus applies to Taxon Concepts, not specimens (if that was what you were implying Stan), as you cannot really say that the specimen itself is invasive - it is the concept you have identified it to that can be deemed invasive, surely.

Specimens can provide a "present" biostatus, but not "absent", nor biostatus origin, such as "exotic".  So they are a source of biostatus data, but I dont think they are objects that biostatus is strictly attributed to.

Kevin